click to vote for us
vote weekly!
Ulrich and Helva's Cards Homepage Ulrich and Helva's Cards Homepage
AuctionSniper.com - AuctionSniper:  Your eBay sniping solution.

Locations of visitors to this page

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  The Lounge

Subject Topic: Why not Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by bobf on June/05/2013 at 12:40pm - IP Logged
View bobf's Profile Search for other posts by bobf Quote bobf Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
bobf
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
March/11/2004
2138 Posts
Why not a topic that is so disturbing to some that someone might respond.

It is time to replace our government with some real level headed persons that will not run up our cost, will pay down our debts, end all this government handout stuff, fire most of the current government employees and replace them with contracted non government people for much less cost. We should keep our military up to modern levels and in sufficient numbers to really defend US properties and people all around the world.

Fewer people on welfare and more people working is the best goal and is achievable if the welfare, sit on your butt money, is ended.

We need to take our country back a few years to where people knew that if they worked they could do about anything.   Welfare was considered to be laziness or incompetence, not a given due as many now see welfare.

Why should the US be made to look like Europe, they have not had much good in their bankruptcy period that is obvious.

Time for many changes away from this new format and back to when the US was doing well.

Message posted by Homer6 on June/06/2013 at 9:50pm - IP Logged
View Homer6's Profile Search for other posts by Homer6 Quote Homer6 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Homer6
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
March/08/2004
3843 Posts
I keep saying it's time to flush the toilets in Washington D.C. Keep no one, replace everyone, right down to the janitors. Same o' same o' can't be allowed to continue or spending will be so high only those who can afford to pay taxes will be purchasing anything.

-----------------
If you worry about tomorrow, you'll forget to live today.

Message posted by bobf on June/08/2013 at 1:57pm - IP Logged
View bobf's Profile Search for other posts by bobf Quote bobf Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
bobf
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
March/11/2004
2138 Posts
Hello Homer.   I started the political topic hoping someone would take off with that and poke at me or whatever.   There have been 22 looks and only one response.

I do agree with what you have said, not many in our government, voted or hired, that seem to have any drive for running by the constitution or anything else they should run our government by. Just seems to be a bunch of people that want to convert the US from a working style of people to a bunch of sit on their butts welfare type of people. It is crazy to think that some say taxing the workers so more can stop working and get help for sitting on their butts.   That idea has never worked in any country that I know of.

Would like to see others step in and comment.   How about them Australian lady's or any others as well.

Message posted by Homer6 on June/14/2013 at 10:12pm - IP Logged
View Homer6's Profile Search for other posts by Homer6 Quote Homer6 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Homer6
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
March/08/2004
3843 Posts
Hi bob. I'll give others a opportunity to say something before I chime in again. This is an endless topic.

-----------------

Message posted by bobf on June/15/2013 at 2:49pm - IP Logged
bobf
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
March/11/2004
2138 Posts
And where are the others these days?

I am beginning to think that somehow all have given up on this forum. It is no fun writing notes to myself.

I don't find many on the Myst forums either. Just a couple of the old timers that come back once a year and leave a note. None come back often enough to create a conversation.

Shucks.

Message posted by Homer6 on June/15/2013 at 9:05pm - IP Logged
Homer6
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
March/08/2004
3843 Posts
That question is one not likely to be answered by you or me. It could be they've become very involved in their lives and haven't found time to visit. And it could be they've decided it's time to move on to something different. Only they can really answer that question.

I do understand about listening to oneself. It is hard to have a one sided conversation.

I think Myst mystique has worn off, or has lessened to a vast degree. There may be a few die hards left but others may have found other games/interests that gain their favor. And it didn't help the way the entire thing was handled.

Anyway, this is a bit off topic and nothing that will be answered unless others return.

As to the initial topic, the latest of monitoring phone calls, in the name of security, is really a hot topic. With the word security thrown in, many see nothing wrong with calls being monitoring. These are the same people who would believe they're about to get free showers in a room that could hold hundreds of people. Someone in D.C. understands almost anything can be done as long as they play on the feeling of peoples' security. And unless people start thinking about what's really being done and said, and think between the lines, those in D.C. are going to continue doing what they're doing and get away with it.

-----------------

Message posted by bobf on June/16/2013 at 7:46am - IP Logged
bobf
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
March/11/2004
2138 Posts
And that brings up the question about what is the DC gang really doing.

The responses from DC is that they only are tracking the action from one foreign country to the US and responses.   Nothing actually being recorded but the call action.

Then once a considered threat is discovered they will go to a court and get permission to start recording the words in the connections.   From those now recorded conversations they can determine if there is a threat to the US or not.

Others say all phone calls are tapped everyday and recorded.   This seems to be a pretty hard thing to do considering that we have over 300 million people that might be making calls just in the US and how many others world wide.   I kind of go with the official description just on the basis of the work load.

So for me, I would like to see those proposed open meetings proceed and clarify what is actually happening and eliminate so much of the speculative concerns that are now bouncing around.

I would also like to see some of these other concerns discussed more openly and clear up all these stories about the embassy attacks and the Ambassador's death.   What is happening to the IRS and all the concerns there. Isn't the FBI also under a scan today. Far too much of the Obama administration is running wild. It seems that no oversight is being applied anywhere. So I am looking forward to some of the Congressional hearings and their outcomes.

Message posted by Homer6 on June/18/2013 at 7:35pm - IP Logged
Homer6
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
March/08/2004
3843 Posts
Because many things are being kept quiet, people are only getting what someone thinks is happening in this or that area. And because of this, it could be many things are misconstrued to the point of being false.

It isn't a secret the Government has been monitoring many around the world, we know it was done during the Cold War. So why believe it isn't still going on? Why pretend the US isn't watching others? Because maybe some of the things being watched might be against the Constitution.

To many times in the past they US Government has proven itself incapable of abiding by the Constitution, all in the name of security. So if they can claim "in the name of security" what else might they group under the same heading? At what point does the US Government really step over the line in the name of security and get away with it? Whose going to reign in such abuse if no one respects the concepts of the Bill of Rights and the Constitution? How is it possible for anyone to respect a Government who doesn't respect its own precepts?

Open meetings are a nice idea, but how is it possible for those listening to know when the truth is and isn't being told? How can they tell when they are being told exactly what they want to hear? And if those answering questions are put under Executive Privilege how will the truth ever see the light of day? More to the point, why were they put under Executive Privilege? What is being hidden? Might it be this is being done not because of something sensitive to the security of the country, but because of something that would be extremely embarrassing to those answering questions or their boss(es)?

As long as there are ways for those at the head of the class to prevent those in the back from seeing what's going on, they will continue abusing their offices and get away with it. Without an overall monitor of the entire system, someone will be off in the corner doing their best not to let others see what they shouldn't be doing.

-----------------

Message posted by bobf on June/19/2013 at 5:32am - IP Logged
bobf
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
March/11/2004
2138 Posts
Some good questions but I have no answers. As we do know the current government has been hiring ever since they came in and are still hiring and causing more secret stuff to happen. The Obama care plan is not defined yet but they are still hiring to run it.   There in itself is one big secret that is being pushed.

Current claims from the NSA and FBI are that at least 5 different attempts to attack the US by the terrorist have been stopped. That is good news.   Did they copy every call in the US, not at all. Did they copy the calls of those terrorist that were caught?   Yes, after the courts gave permission. And the phone calls commission meetings continue.

This is only one of several government scandles under investigation. Beyond phone calls there is the embassy in Libya where the ambassador got killed and we did nothing to end that.   IRS going against conservatives and favoring lefties.   And others not so familiar at this time.

I am of the opinion that we are at war with the terrorist and must take many precautions that normally we did not have to take. Border patrols, travel security at bus stations, subways, airports, ports.

I prefer caution to the protection of all rather that sit down and demand full compliance to our Constitution without question. Until this religious war is ended we will never really be free as we once were and should be today.   Some secrets are truly our best friends.

Message posted by Homer6 on June/19/2013 at 12:59pm - IP Logged
Homer6
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
March/08/2004
3843 Posts
Obama health care plan is going to cost the US Government, that's us tax payers, more than the democrats predicted. Some of it, like not being turned away because of preexisting conditions, is a good thing. But requiring everyone have health insurance, and provide assistance for those who can't afford it? How much, or how long, will this assistance last? How will those living on the street afford health insurance when they can't afford other necessities? Assistance alone, for these people, is really going to push the health care costs through the roof. And why are, did, so many getting exemptions from this law? If it's that good should there be ANY exemptions? And if it was meant for all, why weren't republicans involved in the drafting process? Why were they locked out? And why did out infamous Pelosi say they had to vote on it in order to know what's in it? Talk about dumb statements. But then again, talk about dumb people.

I agree there's been much to much covering up of things ignored by the Government, or things tried and have been exposed. That is not what a Government should be doing. Except for legitimate security concerns, everything the Government does should be on the front page, in bold type. And as you've said, they have stepped in it too many times in recent days. But if Executive Privilege continues to be used, those responsible will never see their day in court.

I believe the Constitution gives agencies the power to protect the country without resorting to acts which skirt the Constitution. I realize in these times some things may need done that seem outside the limits of the Constitution. But when it's blatantly done then it's time to sept in and put a stop to it. Even though it's done in the name of security. Because if it isn't stopped, what's to stop those from continuing in like manner all in the name of security? What's to prevent them from claiming everyone must be in their homes by such and such an hour all in the name of security? What's to stop them from requiring people have to give an inventory of their homes all in the name of security? These may sound far fetched, but you don't conquer a country without blood shed simply by demanding at the point of a gun these things be done. Nope, you do it slowly, and all in the name of security. Since everyone knows people want to be secure.

-----------------